Even though new places continue to open, this is an incredibly challenging time for restaurants, bars, food trucks, and breweries. The shutdown, reopening at reduced capacity, and concerns for health and safety have forced many places to close their doors permanently.
All have been affected - from favorite neighborhood spots to bars where you once drank way too much on your birthday. Here is a running list of all the spots that have closed during the pandemic, divided by neighborhood. If you know a place that should be included, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re looking for ways to show support, keep ordering takeout, tip well, buy merch, and also let your local representative know that helping independent restaurants and workers survive this crisis is important to you. The Independent Restaurants Coalition has made it easy to ask your rep to support the Restaurants Act with this automatic email builder.
Updated 10/5 with Kyoten Sushiko, Don Gume’s Tacos, and The B’s Kitchen.
Updated 10/19 with Mother’s Cafe, Revival Coffee, Sunflower Restaurant, The Funkadelic, and Hunan Chinese Restaurant.
Updated 10/28 with Holy Roller and DK Sushi (North Lamar).
Updated 11/23 with Second Kitchen, Seoulju, Dai Due Taqueria, Counter Cafe, Thai Kun
- Be More Pacific
- Capitol City Comedy Club
- Chocolateria Tessa
- Counter Cafe (The East 6th and 29th St locations remain open.)
- Dart Bowl and Dart Bowl Cafe
- DK Sushi (The South 1st location remains open.)
- Magnolia Cafe West (The South Congress location remains open)
- Mother’s Cafe (closes October 24th)
- Seoulju (Their original location on N Lamar remains open.)
- Sushi Niichi
- The Varsity Pizza & Pints
- Austin Java (Three locations closed: downtown, Met Center, and Dripping Springs. The Menchaca location remains open.)
- B. D. Riley’s Irish Pub (The Mueller location remains open.)
- Buffalo Billiards
- Cafe Josie
- Dai Due Taqueria (The original Dai Due remains open.)
- Daruma Ramen (Their ramen is still available at the sister restaurant Kome.)
- Dirty Dog Bar
- Dive Bar & Lounge
- Easy Tiger
- Holy Roller
- Ni-Kome: Sushi & Ramen
- Second Bar + Kitchen (Their Northside and ABIA locations remain open.)
- The Townsend
- Veggie Heaven
- Waller Creek Pub House
- 8 Track
- The B’s Kitchen
- Blue Dahlia Bistro (The Westlake and San Marcos locations remain open.)
- The Brewers Table
- The Brixton
- The Buzz Mill (The South location remains open.)
- Kyoten Sushiko
- The North Door
- Pitchfork Pretty
- St Roch’s Bar
- Sugar Mama’s Bakeshop (The South 1st location remains open.)
- Thai Kun (The location at The Domain remains open.)
- Revival Coffee